Sunday, April 15, 2007

0011 - Opera and the critical mass

I use Opera. I've been a fan of tabbed browsing since the old days of NetCaptor, back in the 1998's. Mozilla and Firefox were great, but just seemed slow. Once I fired up Opera a few years back, it was fast and functional, Good tab support. Exactly what I needed.

Now why the heck do sites still block content based on the browser you're using? Sure, not everyone has the time to work out all the quirks, and from the little web work I've done I could understand its not all that easy. I've read about the principles of testing for features instead of testing for a browser agent, and it doesn't sound like rocking science. Maybe the little guys don't have the time to make it work everywhere. Fine. But Google?

Why can't I use Opera to access my Google Docs? All I want is a lightweight spreadsheet that I can access from anywhere. Gmail? love it. Google Reader? love it. Docs? Oops! use another browser! Bah Humbug.

End of Rant.

No comments: