Thursday, January 03, 2008

I think I found a place for Yahoo Pipes in all my RSS plumbing!

Amongst the plumbing of interconnected RSS that I'm piping between Twitter, Blogger, Facebook, Wakoopa, et al, there was one very annoying part.

The daily "Yesterday..." post.

Del.icio.us has a neat way of splicing all the new links for one day into a site's RSS feed, and I was looking for a way to do the same with Twitter posts. Enter loudtwitter.com to fit the bill perfectly. Every day, send all my tweets as a blog post. woot!

Except that I also want the blog posts (as infrequent as they are) to show in my twitter stream. So, this blog's RSS is fed to twitter using twitterfeed.com - including those daily recaps. So even on days when I've done nothing at all online, one lonely tweet would announce the "Yesterday..." post... and that one tweet would become the sole content of the next day's only blog post. And so they would ping-pong back and forth wasting bandwidth and reader interest for eternity.

Until tonight, when I remebered Yahoo Pipes.

I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier. Instead of waiting for more advanced filters in twitterfeed, use a REALLY advanced filter before even sending it to twitterfeed at all. Duh. Now I have an RSS feed with all the 4kholes updates EXCEPT for the Yesterday posts. Much less spam for my friends now (although, frankly, they've probably already unfollowed and/or put me on the Facebook ignore list).

So, the new plumbing goes like this:
- Twitter is the starting point, gets the most updates.
- Once a day, loudtwitter.com feeds the day's tweets to Blogger
- Blogger's RSS feed goes to feedburner.com for stats
- feedburner.com is sent to a Yahoo Pipes pipe for filtration
- Yahoo pipes output is sent to twitterfeed.com so "real" posts are announced on twitter
- twitterfeed also picks up Google Reader shared items, del.icio.us posted items, and Wakoopa updates, so all that good stuff can be twittered
- Facebook gets the whole shebang via the FB twitter app, and just for the sake of being repetetive, FB notes is set to import this blog

Sure, no one's really reading any of it, but it sure is fun to live the dream of the web by connecting all this stuff together. :)

No comments: